So what’s ACF all about then?
Academic Competition Federation (ACF) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing high-quality collegiate quizbowl tournaments. We are entirely student and volunteer run. We pride ourselves on the highest standard of academic question writing and we keep the amount of pop culture (a.k.a. trash) or semi-academic questions to a minimum.
We offer three tournaments throughout the academic year:
- ACF Fall is an introductory-level event that is held in early November.
- ACF Regionals is a “regular difficulty” event that is held in January/February. It serves as a qualifier for ACF Nationals.
- ACF Nationals is the premier collegiate championship event. It is held in April. To participate in ACF Nationals, teams must qualify through their performance at ACF Regionals, or may apply for wildcard bids.
Who can play in ACF tournaments?
You and your teammates must be:
- all attending the same school
- all taking at least one class for credit during the school year.
“Mixed” teams are not allowed to play ACF tournaments, i.e. teams containing players not all from one school. The head editor of the tournament may make an exception; however, these dispensations are made only in very limited circumstances. ACF reserves the right to disallow any team from playing at one of its tournaments.
ACF tournaments are generally held for college teams; however, ACF does, in limited circumstances, allow high school teams to play ACF Fall and ACF Regionals.
How can I become an ACF Member?
Twice a year (once before Regionals and once after Nationals), ACF invites community members who have done work for ACF in the prior year (either by editing an ACF tournament, or contributing to the logistics of running ACF tournaments) to become provisional members of ACF. Provisional members can then become full members of ACF by satisfactorily completing work on another ACF project.
To work with ACF, be on the lookout for an application to edit an ACF tournament over the prior summer, or contact an ACF board member about logistical work.
Donating to ACF
Please see this page for information on donating to ACF.